Our bride blogger, Alicia, is back for installment 7 on the Modern Wedding blog! She’s been focusing on her all-important wedding shoes over the last few weeks…

To Choo or not to Choo? That is the question.

When  choosing  bridal  shoes  there  are  two  arguments:  “If  you  can’t  wear  a  designer  shoe  on  your wedding  day  then  when  can  you?”  and  “Don’t  bother  spending  money  on  shoes  because  nobody  sees them anyway”. Where do you fit in this debate?

I hadn’t thought about bridal shoes until I saw a tiny image of THE MOST amazing shoe in a magazine. It was a gorgeous stiletto sandal in bright gold and glitter that would look amazing under a wedding dress or teamed with skinny jeans (post-wedding day bonus).

The  shoe’s  name  is  Greta  and  the  designer  is  Jimmy  Choo  (pictured  above).  I  had  never owned  a designer shoe,  nor had I thought about it,  but  now it was an infatuation.  I couldn’t stop thinking about Greta and her price tag: AUD$1,100(ish)…almost as much as my dress!

It  tormented  me  for  months.  Around  and  around  the  argument  went:  “If  you  can’t  have  a designer shoe…” vs “Nobody’s going to see your shoes!”. I couldn’t justify the price, but at the same time I didn’t stop looking at the website. A few months later it came up on sale – Greta at 50% OFF!

That  was  now  a  price  tag  of  $500(ish)  dollars…almost  justifiable.  I  picked  up  the  phone and called  the nearest store. Was my size in stock? Yes. Could I make some bogus work excuse? Yes. (I was sick – shoe sick). So off I went to try on the Choo.

The verdict? TERRIBLE. The beautiful shoe made my feet look awful! Admittedly, going for a big run first was  probably  a  bad  idea  (think  knobby  feet  with  popping  veins),  plus  with  decades of  that  kind  of running I don’t quite have model feet. So in the end it was…No Deal.

Now  I  have  justified  it  in  a  different  way.  I  have  saved  myself  at  least  $1,000  to  spend  on something else…! It’s funny how logic works.

My  thoughts  have  now  turned  to  fun  shoes  that  add  a  surprise  pop  of  colour  or  girly  fun to  a  wedding dress. Turquoise, pink, gold, polka dots…

Categories:

One Response so far.

  1. XO Bali says:

    What do you think? What did you Choo(se) for your wedding shoe?

Leave a Reply